5 simple ways to get fit before a trek
I am pretty sure that we all have planned an invigorating & soothing trip to the beautiful hills after the lockdown ends, right? Yes, I know I know. I can hear you guys screaming. We all want that right...! A good trek could easily compensate for the hard times we are having now & can really build that sense of accomplishment in our mind & body. Trekking indeed makes you fit but on the other hand, you need be fit to do trekking. So, keeping that in mind Jayanti Riverview has collaborated with Fit bongz and we have jotted down '5 key preparations' one should do before going on a trek. If that sounds interesting let's dive straight in...
1. Improving the Cardiovascular Strength:
Improving the Cardiovascular Strength before the trek is one of the best things you can do if not the best. Proper cardiovascular training would strengthen your cardiac(heart) muscles & also make your lungs function more efficiently. Basically, you will be increasing your stamina which will surely be a key factor in your next trek.
· For improving the over cardiovascular strength our advice would be to have a cardio session for 2-3 times per week in the gym. If you're not a gym person you can make some easy lifestyle changes like taking the stairs instead of the lift. Taking a walk or light jogging for 30 minutes thrice a week can also do wonders.
2. Improving the Over-all Vo2 Max:
Well, that might sound too complicated but really easy to understand. 'Vo2 Max' also known as optimal oxygen uptake is the measurement of the maximum amount of oxygen a person can utilize during an exercise. It is calculated in millilitres of oxygen per kg of body weight per minute (ml/kg/min). By increasing your Vo2 max you again condition your heart & lungs to perform at their best possible condition during the trek.
· Try some HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) for improving your Vo2 Max. If that's too tough for you, then try skipping.
3.Strengthen your body, especially legs, core & back:
Strengthening your whole body can be a key element for your successful trek. When it comes to trek. Your legs, core & your back are going to be your best friends. In a trek, you have to walk a long distance & to do that you must have enough juice in your legs. You need a strong core to support all your body movements. & A strong back is required to carry those heavy backpacks or Rucksacks of yours. So, strengthening them exclusively might not be a bad idea. They are taking most of the load, after all.
· Try some exercises which will strengthen your Legs, Core & Back at home. The best ones that we'll suggest are Squats & Lunges (Legs) Pushups (Overall upper body including back) Planks & crunches (Core) and if you want to take your fitness game to the next level then try investing in ab rollers, resistance band or resistance tubes.
4. Improving the balance of the body:
This sounds too simple to mention, but a few minutes spent improving your balance can prevent injuries on your trip and give you more stability when you climb. Walking heel-to-toe with your arms out at your side and your eyes looking straight ahead is an easy and effective balance exercise. So is simply standing on one foot for 30-60 seconds at a time (longer if you can manage) before switching to the other foot. You should improve your static & dynamic balance as you'll need both on the trail.
Before going on a trek, or even before thinking of a trek you should be eating clean. Prepare your body for an extravagant trek by fueling your body with healthy, nutrient-rich foods. Be it breakfast, lunch or dinner, it gotta be healthy. Period. Have Fruits, Vegetables, Whole grains,& quality proteins such as Eggs, Chicken breast, Peanut butter, Lentils & Quality dairy items like Milk & Paneer. Make sure to keep yourself hydrated & drink ample amount of water daily (8 glasses roughly).
So, those were the basic preparations you can take to accomplish a successful trek. I know 'A Trek' sounds to be a 2021 plan for now. But hey. who knows...? Afterall as a Fit Bongz family, we're optimistic people. & When things get back to normal & you'll be planning for a rock n roll, these things will surely gonna help you. Saying this, I hope everybody is fine & doing alright.
Till the next trek stay fit, stay healthy & always remember...
'Fitter বাঙালি,Greater বাঙালি।
Written by Spandan Bhowmik (Jayanti Riverview)
Ideas by Tanmoy Roy (Fit Bongz)